Mar 14, 2018
Jack Ossa helps people
create impactful experiences through the power of design. He is the
founder of and principal architect at Ossa Studios, an
architecture, branding and web design firm. He previously worked as
a senior project architect at Gensler, an international integrated
architecture, design, planning and consulting firm. Jack has worked
on dozens of commercial, mixed-use and residential projects, and
provided principal design for the worldwide corporate headquarters
for SPX Corporation and the offices of The Duke Endowment. He also
previously worked at DMR Architecture and at McClure Nicholson
Montgomery Architects. Jack earned his bachelor's degree in
architecture from the Jorge Tadeo Lozano University in Bogota,
This episode is perfect for
anyone interested in architecture, design, a journey of
immigration, risk and achievement.
IN THIS EPISODE
- Jack explains
what he does as an architect and designer.
- He talks about
his work as project architect on the offices of
The Duke Endowment.
- He shares the process an architect goes through to give
shape to an idea.
- He explains what happens when a client doesn't know
what they want.
- Jack identifies which
steps in the design process he enjoys and what he likes most about
- He addresses whether there is a distinction between
design and architecture.
- He explains what he means by 'the power of
- He discusses how design
principles can help someone live their life and the
connection he sees between design and relationships.
- Jack discusses a
manifesto he wrote and why he goes about 'mapping his
- He talks about growing up in Medellin and Bogota,
Colombia, playing music in a heavy metal rock
band, and his introduction to architecture.
- He reveals the two factors that motivated him
to want to move to the United States.
- Jack describes his journey to the United States, his sense of
the power that directs him, and a place he visited
that he decided to never leave.
- He tells the story of his status when he arrived, the moment he
met his future wife, cleaning windows and mopping
floors, and what he was certain about at the time.
- He talks about how he got his first job as an architect,
the craziest week of his life, and the phone call
that changed everything.
- He reveals what his experience as an immigrant taught
him, his rise to working for one of the best architectural
firms in the world, and where the courage came from for the
decision he made next.
- He reveals the dream that has driven him and
describes the year he has had since launching his firm.
- Jack shares the projects he is working on now, the vision he
has for his company, and what he wants his children to
Mark Peres adds a personal word that begins this way, "I
listened to Jack amazed: at his story, his ambition, his gratitude
and his grit. I came away asking: what is a larger vision I can
have for myself? Am I taking enough risk..."
To learn more, visit On Life and Meaning