Mar 1, 2018
Candice Langston is a
communications consultant who helps organizations make a positive
impact in their communities. She previously was a principal at
SOLID, a strategic communications and civic engagement
firm. Her career includes serving as director of development
and strategic partnerships for the UNC Charlotte College of Arts +
Architecture, an advancement consultant for Time Out Youth, and as
business director and senior marketing manager for Sotheby's.
Candice is the founder and former owner of Potion, a chain of indie
skincare and fragrance boutique retail shops. She earned a
B.A. in art history from Queens University of Charlotte, and
an M.A. in arts administration and an M.B.A. from Southern
This episode is perfect for
anyone interested in media and messaging, civic engagement, TED
talks, Hello Kitty and the music of Duran Duran.
IN THIS EPISODE
- Candice explains
what she does professionally and how she goes
- She shares what she tells
clients about navigating different media
- She interprets the phrase
'the medium is the message.'
- She reveals what makes a good message.
- Candice considers mobile devices as an
extension of our bodies.
- She talks about the message we all need to
hear that she would want to help deliver.
- She shares the importance of 'getting
- She describes growing up as an only child and
memories of her mom and dad.
- Candice answers which
music she listened to in high school and college,
having the right look, and which clubs she attended as part of the
music scene in Charlotte.
- She talks about the decision she had to make
after college and her early career ambition.
- She discusses what she learned working for
Sotheby's in London and in New York.
- She answers why she returned to Charlotte and
- Candice reflects on her work at UNC Charlotte College of Arts +
Architecture and balancing family life with career
- She addresses whether she helped get the message
right for the Charlotte Mecklenburg Opportunity Task
- She talks about launching TEDxCharlotte and
the spark it created.
- She shares the insight she has gained as an
American Leadership Forum fellow.
- She explains her love for Duran Duran and what
she has in common with Audrey Hepburn and Hello Kitty.
- Candice reveals what she
is optimistic about and what she values
Mark Peres adds a personal word that begins this way, "When
I think of Candice Langston I think of British new wave music,
heavy eyeliner, padded shoulders, synthesizer pop and androgynous
girls and boys..."
To learn more, visit On Life and Meaning.